From the early Middles Ages to the end of the 17th century, Lagrange was transferred between different
Luxemburg families either through marriage or inheritance without ever being sold.
It was first sold in 1700 when it was bought by Brice Gomé des Hasards,Counsellor at the Parliament of Metz,
whose son Christophe would, following plans by Robert de Cotte, build the castle as it stands today.
Christophe Gomé des Hasards however was forced to sell La Grange in 1750 when he found himself facing financial ruin.
The new owner was the Marquis de Fouquet, the King’s Lieutenant General in the Pays Messin,
a distant cousin of the Maréchal de Belle-Isle who was the grandson of Nicolas Fouquet,
the famous finance minister of Louis XIV who built the Vaux-le-Vicomte castle.
The current owners of La Grange are direct descendants of the Marquis de Fouquet.